Sunday, July 11, 2010

“Increase our faith”

I find it interesting that when the apostles asked Jesus to increase their faith (Luke 17:5) He instead told them how a little bit of faith of enough.

I’ve heard other pray and ask God to increase their faith, and I’ve even prayed that prayer. I’m not sure that it’s wrong to ask for more faith, but what is Jesus really saying?

I have all sorts of faith: I’m going to get on an airplane and fly to Arequipa, Peru, this coming Friday and Saturday. I have faith that the airplane mechanics did their work correctly and that all the parts of the planes will function correctly. I have faith in the pilots know what they are doing and will fly the plane correctly. I have faith that the air traffic controllers will do their jobs and keep planes from flying into each other. I even have faith in the baggage handlers and trust them to get my checked bags to the right destinations. We all have certain degrees of faith in various things.

The real question comes down to this: In what am I placing my faith? Am I placing my faith in Almighty God, or am I placing my faith in flawed man?

If I’m depending on my own abilities, or on the abilities of other flawed humans, then I’ll need lots of faith. I’ll need enough faith to counterbalance the flaws I know exist in every human being. But what if I’m placing my faith in a perfect, all powerful, never failing, all knowing, and just God?

Jesus was telling His disciples that even a little faith placed in Almighty God was enough to move mountains.

So next time we ask God to increase our faith, lets first stop to consider the object of our faith. Do I need lots of faith because I’m going to depend on my own abilities, or will a little faith be enough because I’m depending on God?

Until next time…

Pastor Jim

No comments: