Friday, August 6, 2010

The Christian Life

Have you ever considered expressing the Christian life mathematically? I hadn’t either until I was sharing with my wife how often we get an incorrect view of our life in Christ. I told Debbie that often we think only of our part, and we forget that God has a part in this too.

Here is what came to Debbie when I told her that:

(Me + My Problems + My Solutions) + God = Christian Life

Now that pretty well explains how I was taught. I was taught that once I came to know Jesus as my Savior I needed to surrender to Him and obey Him. I was told all of what I was supposed to do but not given much hope of how this was supposed to happen.

Here is the other part Debbie came up with:

God(Me + My Problems) = Victory

That’s it! God influences me and God influences my problems to give me victory. It’s not all up to me! The truth is, I can’t do it on my own. I know because I’ve tried, failed, and gotten frustrated and depressed over how many times I’ve failed.

Dear friends, we were never supposed to life the Christian life on our own. We are told to live our new life in the power of the Holy Spirit. Look at what Philippians 1:6 says:

“For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.”

While it is true that our part is to surrender and obey as much as is humanly possible, we must also keep in mind that God has a part, and that is to fill us with the power of His Holy Spirit to enable us to do what in humanly impossible.

If you were raised as I was you may be skeptical. I don’t blame you. But just take a look at these verses and make then make up your own mind.

“and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.” 1 Corinthians 2:4-5

“For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power.” 1 Corinthians 4:20

“I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” Ephesians 1:18-19

“that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with power through His Spirit in the inner man,” Ephesians 3:16

“Now to Him who is able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us” Ephesians 3:20

“strengthened with all power, according to His glorious might, for the attaining of all steadfastness and patience; joyously” Colossians 1:11

“For this purpose also I labor, striving according to His power, which mightily works within me.” Colossians 1:29

“for our gospel did not come to you in word only, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction;” 1 Thessalonians 1:5

“For God has not given us a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7

See my point? That’s why I had to conclude that I was missing something, and that’s why I began searching God’s word for what it was I was missing. I hope this challenges you to search too and discover the power of God to lead you to a victorious and abundant life in the power of Jesus.

Until next time,

Pastor Jim

No comments: