Thursday, December 10, 2009

Becoming Mature

I’ve been thinking about growth and maturity. It seems that God has placed us in a world filled with examples of things that grow, mature, and produce fruit. Plant a tomato seed and it grows, the plant matures, and has flowers, and produces tomatoes. A cat has kittens, they grow up to maturity, and then they have kittens. Chicken eggs hatch into chicks, the chicks grow to maturity, and then they lay eggs of their own. Everywhere around us we see examples of living things which grow, become mature, and then reproduce.

In fact, this is so much the law of nature that if a plant is not growing to maturity and reproducing we know something is lacking or something is attacking. It is either lacking nutrition, and therefore malnourished, or it is being attacked, such as by disease or insects.

The Bible tells us we should be growing to maturity and that we should be reproducing. In fact, Jesus said that we would be known by our fruit.

So here’s today’s thought: Do I have any fruit for someone to examine? If I do, what does my fruit say about me? Am I healthy? Am I malnourished? Am I diseased?

John 15:16 (NASB)
“You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.”

No comments: