Sunday, December 6, 2009

Developing a Heart of Gratitude

 
Earlier today I was walking around in Wal-Mart while waiting for Michael to get off work. As I walked around I noticed people buying “stuff” they didn’t need, and I began thinking about how unhappy so many people are.

My mind then drifted to a friend of mine who is always complaining. I thought of how I hesitate asking him how he is because I already know he will tell me how tired he is and how sleepy he is. I thought perhaps I should talk to him about his constant complaining, and suggest that he try giving thanks twice as much as he complains to see if he can change his outlook on life by “giving thanks in all things”.

And then it seemed the Holy Spirit tapped me on the shoulder and asked me how much I give thanks. I was reminded of how much I complain, and I wondered if people hesitate asking me how I’m doing because I’ll tell them about my bad back, or that I have a headache, or that I didn’t sleep well, or that I’m on an emotional roller coaster, or that…

Lord, please forgive me for my critical and complaining attitude. Help me to develop a heart of gratitude by remembering what You have done for me and how blessed I am to be Your child.

No comments: