Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Reaching Beyond Comfort

At some point you have to break silence and let people know what's going on. I think that time has come.

For one thing I need people praying for me because it's about got me at the breaking point. Another thing is I believe God wants me to share with my church family that even we pastors sometimes struggle to understand where God is leading.

So here it is: I'm stepping off the BCF Church staff at the end of the year. I know! I never thought that would happen either! It has been the greatest thrill of my life to serve with Pastor Kenny and the BCF staff team.

It all began in May of 2008. I got an invitation from Pastor Rick Warren to attend a conference he was having called Purpose Driven Community Gathering. It was by invitation only, and I got an invitation. I attended the conference knowing that God was doing something, but not knowing what. At the conference Pastor Rick said that the work of training pastors was simply too much for Saddleback, and that if we would help him train pastors he would give us all his notes and training materials. At the end of the conference Rick invited us to stand if we were willing to let God use us to train other pastors, and I stood.

Only weeks after I returned God began moving and in September of 2008 I spent a day teaching about 20 pastors and seminary professors in Matamoros, Mexico, the Purpose Driven material. Then I watched in amazement as God took me on two trips to Peru where once again I spent time training pastors and seeing first hand the needs of pastors and church leaders. Now God is moving me to invest my life in training church leaders to train other leaders.

As I step off staff I really don't know how God is going to provide for me and my family. All I know is I really believe God is saying to do this, and I can't ignore it. The passion keeps growing! I must do this!

So, as dumb as it may seem, I'm jumping! Is it scarry? YOU BET!!! It's more like terrifying! I've never done skydiving or bungee jumping because I hate the feeling of falling and being out of control. Guess what? I'm not in control! I've jumped with no safety net, bungee cord, parachute, or anything else other than God's prompting me to grow in faith and take the leap.

So there you have it. Pastors struggle too! So pray for me, please! I want to accomplish all God has designed me to accomplish. I want to hear my Lord say "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

No comments: