Thursday, November 12, 2009

Who's Got Control?

I've been reading and thinking a lot lately, trying to understand what God means when He calls us to live by faith. Here's an adaptation from the excellent book Wide Awake by Erwin McManus. I'll call it the Thought For The Day.

If I resolve to live the life of my dreams, if I refuse to settle for a life other than the one God created me to live, then I'm going to be terrified as I give up control and let go of anything and everything that makes me feel secure. I must focus and lock-on to the direction God has called me to live my life.

Now for us engineers that's extremely hard. We love safety and hate risk. We over design "just to make sure" and then add a safety factor "just in case".

Now I know that God has more than enough "safety factor". I know all those things in my head. But trying to get my heart to follow my head is my problem. I can't see God's safety factor, nor can I measure it, and that makes it hard. But then if I could see it and measure it then I wouldn't need faith, would I, and without faith I can't please God. So I see why I have to let go, and sometime I can get my head to be okay with that. Now I just need to get my emotions and my heart to follow.

No comments: